ASQ Risk & Reliability Division Presents
Implementing DFMEAs and PFMEAs Using The New AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook
Thursday, Sept 12 2019
Presenter: Richard Harpster
Length: about 55 minutes
The new AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook has been officially released. The handbook was anticipated to represent a harmonization of the FMEA methodologies found in the current AIAG and VDA FMEA manuals. However, a close review of the published handbook reveals that the core FMEA methodology found in the handbook is an adoption of the software based VDA FMEA methodology first released for use in 1996. For AIAG FMEA subscribers this change is significant on multiple levels.
Along with the core FMEA methodology change, users of the handbook will also find considerable changes in the rating systems as well as the replacement of RPN (Risk Priority Number) with AP (Action Priority).
Using the DFMEA and PFMEA examples provided in the handbook, the webinar will provide the following information:
- History of software based VDA FMEA methodology which is the core FMEA methodology found in the handbook
- How to construct DFMEA using handbook methodology and how it differs from DFMEA created using DFMEA method found in the AIAG 4th Edition FMEA manual
- Why the number of DFMEAs and DVPs required using the handbook DFMEA methodology may significantly increase for complex products
- Why some companies currently using Excel will find if very difficult if not impossible to implement the handbook DFMEA methodology using Excel
- How to construct PFMEA using handbook methodology and how it differs from PFMEA created using PFMEA method found in the AIAG 4th Edition FMEA manual
- Common problems typically experienced by current users of VDA FMEA methodology when attempting to create DFMEAs and PFMEAs and some tips that may help in overcoming them.
- Review of rating system changes
- Introduction to Action Priority (AP)